Welcome to the SJSU Communication Center
💐 We are closed for Spring Recess, Monday, March 27 - Thursday, March 30 💐
We look forward to meeting you!
- Online only: Mondays and Thursdays 12p-6p
- In-person only: Tuesdays and Wednesdays 10:30a - 4:30p (in Hugh Gillis Hall room 229).
Are you seeking help with a speech? Meet with one of our talented Speech Coach peer tutors.
Would you like support with your writing? Meet with one of our Writing Consultants.
- Register for an account with your @sjsu.edu email address account only. If you previously used another email address, you may need to register again. This requirement is for your privacy.
Appointments are synchronous via Zoom and require audio and video capabilities using your one.SJSU credentials.
If this is your first time using this system, watch the registration video below.
When you make an appointment, you agree to the following expectations and policies, which support our mission, and your continued learning. If you're earning credit or extra credit for meeting with a tutor we will still uphold our mission and you are expected to be prepared and engaged. We reserve the right to end or cancel your appointment if these expectations are not met.
You must be currently registered and enrolled at SJSU, and join the Zoom session with your one.SJSU Zoom credentials (all others are blocked). You may book an appointment up to 10 minutes before the start time.
You must be prepared for tutoring by bringing specific questions as well as all necessary materials, including a copy of your project and prompt(s). If you have already worked with a tutor, bring a new copy of your revised draft to your next session, demonstrating that you have attempted to apply what you have learned. We ask you to share a copy of your project as a Google Doc, enabling us to use its collaboration features (use your free Google Drive account provided by SJSU!).
There is a five-minute grace period. After five minutes, your appointment is given to the next person on the waiting list or a drop-in, and you will be marked as "missed" for that appointment.
You must cancel no later than 60 minutes in advance. If you miss three appointments without cancelling ahead, you will be blocked from the system. It is your responsibility to cancel your appointment, which can be done through the same appointment system.
Appointments are 30-minutes, with a maximum of 60 min. total per day. Back-to-back appts. are not allowed.
Distraction-Free, Supportive Environment
We are a distraction-free environment. Devices not related to the appointment should be put away during tutoring sessions. During your session, be engaged in the process and be respectful to all present. If not, you will be referred to a COMM Center faculty supervisor; we reserve the right to refuse service until you have a subsequent meeting with the Director.
General Online Professionalism
In order for the environment to be safe and productive for all, when you enter into an online session with us you need to do so from a physical location where you can:
- have a private conversation via personal computer with a webcam
- see the screen of your personal electronic device while speaking with us
- remain distraction-free
Detailed Expectations of 1-3 above
- Make sure you are in a quiet place where you can login without noises, distractions, and without being interrupted by other people.
- If you live with roommates or family, make sure they know that you will be on an online session and that you should not be interrupted. If possible, they should try to keep the room where you are quiet (no loud noises, music, or conversation).
- It is a good idea to use a headset (headphones and mic) though not absolutely necessary.
- Even though you may be at home, use the same type of clothes you would use at school, and have the same professional attitude you have when you are in class (no pajamas, etc.).
- Online meetings can sometimes be frustrating. If you experience technical problems, take a breath and don't panic. We are all trying to do this together and we understand that sometimes it can be difficult to connect online! Don't give up and keep trying. Use the Chat window in Zoom to communicate if audio or video isn’t working. If, after 5 minutes of technical issues, you will be asked to reschedule your appointment.